Have you ever done a digital declutter? This guide will give you plenty of ideas and tips for tidying your computers, mobile devices and online spaces.
While plenty has been written about decluttering at home and there are numerous television shows and books about how to do it. the clutter we accumulate on our devices can be just as troublesome.
What is your digital equivalent of a messy closet? For me, it’s my email inbox. I’ve been letting emails accumulate in my Gmail inbox, and it’s time for a purge!
Advantages of Tidying Up Devices
You’ll free up space – By regularly evaluating your digital files and spaces, you’ll have more room available for new technology and be better able to enjoy the experience of using your device.
Improved speed – Computers and mobile devices may run more smoothly because they’re optimized instead of bogged down with old stuff.
Better focus – Fewer distractions may help your attention span and ability to focus on the things you want to accomplish each day.
Reduce stress – A clean online environment will give you a peaceful setting to do your best work.
Potential to save money – Perhaps you don’t need all that extra Cloud storage after you remove all the extra files, photos and apps you weren’t using.
Digital Decluttering Checklist
Here are some places you might like to tidy up, where digital clutter tends to accumulate:
- E-mails you no longer need
- E-mail newsletters you never read
- Promotional emails from companies
- Photos – duplicates, sunrises, low quality images, etc.
- Mobile device apps you no longer need
- Old messages on your mobile device
- Computer programs you no longer use
- Files you don’t need
- Desktop bookmarks you no longer visit
- Old Notes files and folders
- Downloads folder full of old installation files
- Social media groups that are no longer relevant
- Contacts you haven’t contacted in years
How About You?
Do you have any suggestions to add to the digital decluttering list above? What strategies do you have for maintaining a clean and uncluttered digital workspace?
I always love hearing your comments and strategies. And if you’re interested in also doing some real world house decluttering, you might enjoy “Create a Peaceful Home.”
If you use Pinterest to save and share ideas, here’s a handy pin: