How are you doing this week? May is officially here (happy May Day!), and these are 7 happy things I’ve discovered recently that might brighten your world.
1. Home Alone – These unusual times have given us a peek inside some celebrities’ personal spaces and lives. What fun it is to watch Stanley Tucci mixing a Negroni cocktail, Thomas Keller whisking salad dressing and Joanna Gaines making a French Silk pie. The Rolling Stones Zooming You Can’t Always Get What You Want is destined to become a quarantine classic, and don’t miss the lovely, from-home performance of Don’t Dream It’s Over by Crowded House.
2. Breakfast Treat – Purely Elizabeth‘s organic granola is sweet, crunchy and a tiny bit salty for the perfect balance of flavors with no refined sugar and natural probiotics. The Original Ancient Grain tastes like a cinnamon oatmeal cookie, and Maple Almond Butter is the perfect blend of nutty and sweet. (Not an affiliate link, just a product I love. If you order today, the company will donate 10% to the NYC Food Bank.)
3. Instagram feed I can’t stop looking at: @VelvetandLinen by designer Brooke Giannetti features dreamy photos and videos of Patina Farm, the home she shares with her architect husband Steve. From their sweet animals to the gorgeous gardens and stunning vistas, browsing feels like taking a mini vacation.
4. Books to Read – If the current bestsellers have a long waiting list at your library, check out an older e-book title for free through Overdrive. These three novels have a permanent spot on my bookcase and are among my favorites:
- Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler is the story of what happens when Delia Grinstead gets fed up with her family, wanders down the beach in her cover-up and sandals, and keeps on going.
- A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean is the beautifully-written novella of two brothers growing up in Missoula, Montana with a Scottish Presbyterian minister father who holds two things dear: God and flyfishing.
- Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris is the story of Framboise Simon, who returns to the small French village where her mother was accused years ago of a tragedy that occurred during the German Occupation.
5. Happy News for a Change – John Krasinski’s new YouTube series “Some Good News” highlights positive stories and good people around the world, along with some fun celebrity interviews. It’s the perfect short escape to lift your spirits.
6. Quarantine Snacks – From Salted Caramel and Pretzel Cookies to homemade potato chips, you’ll find something to love in this roundup of 21 Salty Crunchy Chewy Craving Recipes from Leite’s Culinaria.
7. Quote of the Month: “Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.” ~Chinese proverb
How About You?
What are you reading, eating and watching this week? I’d love to hear your recommendations, and hope you are staying healthy and well.