The next few weeks offer a wonderful opportunity to make rapid progress on your To Do list and get ready for the holidays. Imagine finishing all of your main holiday tasks so you can relax and enjoy the festivities during December.
You may have read about supply chain issues predicted for this season, so getting organized now will help save time and money.
Here are 24 things you can tackle now to get a jump on the holidays and enjoy a fun, festive December.
Food and Cooking
1. Bake some easy cookies and freeze them to eat and give whenever you like. Here’s a collection of 32 make-ahead Christmas cookies that freeze well from Southern Living.
2. Make a strata or coffee cake ahead of time for Christmas morning breakfast, and freeze.
3. Bacon prices are rising! Don’t take chances! Buy your holiday bacon now and freeze it. Thaw in the refrigerator a day or two before cooking it. (I love bacon, in case you can’t tell. Have you visited my bacon blog?)
4. Stock up on beverages and spirits.
5. Make reservations now for any holiday meals, and place orders for your ham, turkey or other holiday foods.
6. Make a budget for presents. (What if we all agree not to take on any debt for gifts?)
7. Ask loved ones to make lists or start sending you gift ideas.
8. Start buying or making gifts, homemade ornaments and stocking stuffers.
9. Remove those pesky price stickers now and find boxes for gifts, if needed.
10. Find shipping boxes for any out of town gifts you’ll be sending.
11. Wrap gifts as you get them. (I sometimes do a basic gift wrap, write the recipients initials in an inconspicuous spot on the package, and store. Then in December I do the fun part of adding ribbons and tags.)
12. Buy holiday stamps now. You can order them directly from USPS if you want to avoid a trip to the post office.
13. Schedule a photographer or take a family photo, if needed.
14. Order holiday cards in advance. In the past, Shutterfly has offered early bird pricing on printed cards.
15. Companies like Paperless Post offer digital card services.
16. Order address labels and print mailing labels, if needed.
17. Start writing the holiday letter now, if you’re sending one.
18. Go through decorations and give away anything you no longer need.
19. Order any needed supplies like ornament hooks. Test the lights.
20. Buy holiday plants and bulbs that need planting in advance like amaryllis.
21. Talk to family members and figure out how and when you’ll celebrate. Add the events to your calendar
22. Plan some fun outings with loved ones during December.
23. Think about something meaningful you might like to do this year.
24. “X” out some hours on the calendar for YOU, so you have a little down time for relaxing and pampering.
Here’s to the happiest holiday season!
More Holiday Articles
You might also enjoy:
How About You?
Do you have any ideas to add to this do-ahead holiday list? I always love hearing your thoughts and suggestions in the Comments section.
If you use Pinterest to save and share ideas, here’s a handy pin: