Here’s a simple-to-make treat to make for July 4th or any summer celebration. Juicy strawberries are filled with a sweet cream filling and topped with a ripe blueberry.
They look so festive on the plate, and the best part is you can make them up to 4 hours ahead of time. These berries are featured in my cookbook Berries: Sweet and Savory Treats published by Gibbs Smith.
Look for nice, large strawberries at the market and fat, ripe blueberries.
After you make the filling from a delectable combination of cream cheese, powdered sugar, and almond extract, transfer the mixture to a pastry bag or ziplock baggie fitted with a large star tip.
Use a sharp knife to cut an “X” in each berry from the tip to about 1/4 inch from the bottom. Don’t quite cut all the way through. Gently open each strawberry and pipe the filling inside.
Top each filled strawberry with a blueberry. Arrange the strawberries on a serving platter and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To safely serve the berries during this pandemic, my friend Leslie taught me a trick. Simply place the filled strawberries in individual paper or foil cupcake liners so each person can take one.
Here’s the easy recipe:
- 1 1/2 pounds large fresh strawberries, hulled
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each strawberry. Turn the strawberries over on a cutting board, trimming if necessary so they sit flat. Using a sharp knife, cut an "X" in each berry from the tip to
about 1/4 inch from the bottom. (Do not cut all the way through.) Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and almond extract, and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. (You can also spoon the filling into a 1-quart ziptop baggie, cut 1/4 inch off one of the corners and pipe the filling from the bag.)
- Gently open each strawberry and pipe the filling inside. Top each filled strawberry with a blueberry. Arrange the strawberries on a serving platter and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Berries can be prepared, covered and refrigerated up to 4 hours ahead.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 60mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
If you enjoy these Patriotic Strawberries, I’d be thrilled if you gave the recipe a 5-star rating.
Are you on Pinterest? You can save or share the recipe with this handy pin:
Let’s keep this party going! I’d love to connect with you on social media:
I love sharing your culinary creations! If you prepare this recipe and post a photo, tag me at @elizacross or #elizacross.