Here are 7 Good Things I’ve recently discovered that you might enjoy, too:
1. Just in time for Father’s Day on June 16th: Check out this sweet, sticky barbeque sauce recipe from The Kitchen Whisperer – perfect for grilling ribs, brisket, chicken or chops for Dad. The Fresh Cooky’s Cowboy Baked Beans are the perfect accompaniment!
2. Instagram crush: @SugarsBeach for dreamy beach homes and cottages, sigh-inspiring sunsets and peaceful ocean views.
3. Netflix escape: “A Year in Champagne” is filled with beautiful scenery of France’s Champagne region, and gave me such an appreciation for the amazing skill, care and luck that goes into each bottle of bubbly.
4. Learn from my mistakes. If you decide to buy a light fixture with multiple bulbs like the one we have over our kitchen table, shown below, the odds are good that on any given day a lightbulb will be burned out. (This is especially true if you’re having people over). If your fixture, like ours, takes pricey little halogen bulbs, you’ll spend a lot of money on bulbs over the life of the fixture. Next time, I think I’ll look for a simpler fixture.
5. Book I’m reading: Brain Food: The Surprising Science of Eating for Cognitive Power by Lisa Mosconi, PhD. I never realized that our brains use 20-30 percent of the calories we consume. It’s amazing and encouraging to read the latest findings about how a nutritious diet can protect and strengthen our brains. The book includes lots of food ideas and a section with brain-boosting recipes.
6. Snacks I’m enjoying: Dried apricots and fresh organic blackberries, which are both rich in antioxidants. Apricots are also full of bone-strengthening minerals, and eating blackberries may help prevent age-related memory loss.
7. Quote of the week:
“Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” ~ Henry James
How About You?
I would love to hear about what you’re doing this summer, the meals you’re cooking, the books you’re enjoying, what you’re growing in your garden, and where you’re finding joy this June.
You can leave a comment on this post or write me at mail @ elizacross.com.
Thank you for reading The YOLO Blog, and enjoy the weekend!
Grateful thanks to John Wiu for the use of the grilled chicken image.